Internet and Society Fellowship 2019
THE INTERNET AND SOCIETY FELLOWSHIP IS INTERNATIONALLY FOCUSED AND OFFERS A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY FOR INNOVATIVE THINKERS WHO WISH TO ENGAGE IN THE EXCHANGE OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCES AND TO SET UP NEW INITIATIVES.
Please note that the application period has expired and we are now entering the selection process. Sign up for our newsletter to stay informed about further open positions and the fellowship program 2020.
We now invite applications from early and advanced researchers with diverse backgrounds and professional experiences, who want to contribute to the range of the institute’s transdisciplinary internet research.
Based in the heart of Berlin, the HIIG provides a dynamic intellectual environment for fellows to pursue their own research interests and actively shape their stay. We invite fellows to collaborate with an international team of researchers and to participate in the activities at our institute. We offer a number of opportunities to share and discuss ideas. This includes:
- writing and publishing papers in one of our open access publications
- commenting on current developments in your field in form of HIIG blog posts
- holding presentations in one of our lunch talks
- organising expert workshops with your peers
- engaging in joint activities and projects with other fellows
For our 2019 class of fellows, we consider applicants who want to pursue topics that fall within one of our research programmes. Please read the information on each of the linked websites closely, and position yourself and/or your project within the programme that best suits you.
- The evolving digital society: concepts, discourses, structures
- Data, actors, infrastructures: The Governance of data-driven innovation and cyber security
- Learning, knowledge, innovation: The change in knowledge production, organisation and transfer through digital innovation
Things to consider
Time Frame: Fellowships may range from a minimum of 3 months to a maximum of 12 months within the year 2019.
Costs and Allowances: Fellows may use our facilities free of charge during their stay. However, they are expected to bring their own funding from their home institution or outside grants. Fellows must take care of accommodation, insurance, childcare, and travel arrangements. In special cases, fellows can apply for a travel grant of up to 700 Euros and a visa subsidy of up to 200 Euros.
- Master’s degree, PhD in process/planned (Junior Fellow) OR
- Advanced PhD, post-doctoral researcher (Senior Fellow)
- Fluency in English; command of German is appreciated
- Research experience and a research project of your own that you want to pursue
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter explaining your interest in the HIIG Fellowship, research background, and your expectations (1 page)
- Research outline including A) your project, and how it responds to one of research programmes, B) the specific work you propose to conduct during the fellowship, C) deliverables, products or outcomes you aim to produce (max. 3 pages)
- Optional: one writing or work sample covering internet research (in English or German)
Über das HIIG
Das HIIG erforscht die Entwicklung des Internets aus einer gesellschaftlichen Perspektive mit dem Ziel, die damit einhergehende Digitalisierung aller Lebensbereiche besser zu verstehen.