PhD candidates (m/f/d) – with technical expertise and experience
Interested in this position but you have questions? Join this Zoom Call on Thursday, October 8 2020, 3 pm to learn more about this research group and ask the research group leader Dr. Theresa Züger directly. https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86354618254
You are a young expert in the research and development of artificial intelligence (AI)? You are not only interested in technical aspects but also in the societal implications of AI? You want to explore how AI can be developed and used in a way that is oriented towards the common good? If you are interested in becoming part of a new interdisciplinary research team, then join us!
The Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) is looking for
two PhD candidates (m/f/d)
from the field of computer science, applied statistics or data science
for the scientific collaboration (doctorate) in a newly emerging research project (75%, depending on the qualification in accordance with TVL 13, limited until September 2024). Family & travel support, as well as support for the procurement of research materials are included.
Corresponding to the funding requirements, women will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications. The research group consisting of 5 persons (2 PostDocs & 3 PhD students) is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and is part of the newly founded AI & Society Lab at HIIG. The interdisciplinary cooperation of the group, practical work with civil society organizations as well as the transfer of knowledge and exchange with the public are central pillars of the overall project.
Most of the work – apart from traveling for fieldwork, conferences, and meetings – will take place on-site at our HIIG office in Berlin.
- Conducting an independent technical doctorate in one of the following areas:
- Natural Language Processing (NLP, the planned PhD project is to develop an AI application for translating texts into simple language) OR
- Computer Vision (the planned PhD project is developing an AI application for machine recognition of accessibility of places in cooperation with Wheelmaps.org).
- Developing prototypes in cooperation with partners from civil society Collaborating in the development of an interdisciplinary and practice-oriented public welfare concept in close cooperation with the project lad (philosopher of technology) and the postdoctoral researcher (technical perspective)
- Participating in the development of interdisciplinary research and formats for expert workshops and knowledge transfer
Requirements and Preferred Qualifications
- Eligible candidates will have an outstanding university degree (in a technical and thematically relevant field, e.g. computer science, applied statistics, data science) and suitable previous knowledge of the chosen doctoral project (NLP or computer vision)
- First experiences (in academia or in the private sector) in the field of AI application (especially Machine Learning/Deep Learning) and / or in the field of NLP are desirable
- Interest in the design and implementation of projects in the field of Machine Learning/Deep Learning and NLP
- Interest in interdisciplinary research and the ability to identify and use points of contact with other disciplines
- Strategic thinking and organisational talent
- Independence, creative will, sense of responsibility, motivation and teamwork
- Business fluent knowledge of German and English is mandatory.
Resources & Benefits
- Participation in the development and establishment of a new research project with room for own ideas and new formats in cooperation with the project leader and in close coordination with the research directorate in a recognized, innovative research institute
- Support in the establishment of the recently founded AI & Society Labs
- Excellent position to start your own research career, develop your own initiatives, and perspectively influence ongoing debates on AI
- The opportunity to obtain a doctorate, participation in the doctoral student and doctoral mentoring programme and other excellent (professional) exchange and networking opportunities
- The opportunity to become part of a research group that explicitly supports the qualification and promotion of women in AI research
- An attractive and family-friendly working environment with flexible working hours, flat hierarchies in an embodied alternative to the traditional science business
- A highly motivated team that works very closely together and committed colleagues from various disciplines in a forward-looking institute in the heart of Berlin
Do you recognize yourself in the profile described? Then we look forward to receiving your application with a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, relevant certificates and the name of your desired doctoral project (NLP or Computer Vision). Ideally, you should provide relevant work samples, for example, you can send us a link to your code repository documenting previous projects. Please submit the documents using the online form below.
The review of applications will start in October 2020 and the call for applications will remain open until a suitable applicant is found. The careful screening and selection of our new team members is very important to us and we ask for your patience that we will conduct several interviews during the process. If you have any questions regarding the content of the job advertisement, please contact Carina Breschke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are looking very forward to your application!
The HIIG researches the development of the internet from a societal perspective with the aim to better understand the digitalisation of all spheres of life.
Meet the HIIGSters
Our colleagues introduce thmselves.