Fellowship 2014 – Internet & Society (closed)
This year the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society opens its doors for fellows from all over the world again. We invite applications from early stage researchers pursuing a project of transdisciplinary Internet research. If you are seeking exchange regarding your research aspirations and find our objectives to match yours or to complement them, we are looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Our fellowship provides innovative thinkers a unique opportunity to exchange experiences and set off new initiatives in an inviting intellectual environment. The selected fellows are very welcome to collaborate in a growing international team and to participate in the research activities at our institute. We encourage you to actively shape your stay according to your research interests. We offer a number of opportunities to get involved with our research programme and discuss your research project with the HIIG research team, such as:
- Developing a paper concerning your research project, e.g. writing a journal paper in our “SSRN Internet & Society Series“
- Holding a presentation about a topic of your choice in our weekly Journal Club
- Organising a workshop of your research topic
- Engage in joint activities and projects with other fellows
- And more – according to your interest
Based in the heart of Berlin we will provide you with modern office space that you will share with our researchers. Fellows are expected to bring their own funding through their home institution or outside grants. Fellows must take care of their accommodation, insurance, childcare, and transportation arrangements. However, in specific cases we can provide fellows on request with a travel allowance of up to € 700,- and a visa subsidy of up to € 200,-. Read more about last years Fellow Programme.
We offer fellowships from 3 up to 12 months starting from June 1st, 2014.
- Master’s degree
- Fluency in English; command of German is appreciated
- Research experience and an Internet research project of your own
Required application documents:
- curriculum vitae
- letter of motivation: explaining your interest in the fellowship, your expectations and your research background (1 page)
- outline of a) your research project, b) the work you aim to conduct during the fellowship, c) contributions you plan to realise during your stay, d) projects on our research agenda that are of interest to you, and e) if possible, preferred project partners at our institute (altogether on a maximum of 3 pages)
- optional: your latest publication or work sample covering Internet research (maximum of 1 paper / chapter / presentation in English or German)
The HIIG researches the development of the internet from a societal perspective with the aim to better understand the digitalisation of all spheres of life.
Meet the HIIGSters
Our colleagues introduce thmselves.