Thank you for your interest in HIIG’s Fellowship Programme. We have selected four wonderful candidates for 2017. Stay tuned for the Fellowship 2018 call!
HIIG Fellowship 2017 – Internet and Society
In 2017 the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) once again opens its doors for fellow researchers from all over the globe. We invite applications from early stage researchers pursuing transdisciplinary internet research. If you are seeking exchange regarding your research aspirations and think your objectives match or complement ours, we look forward to hearing from you!
Our fellowship provides a unique opportunity to innovative thinkers to exchange experiences and set up new initiatives in an open intellectual environment. You will get in touch with the international HIIG research team as well as the other selected fellows and participate in the joint research activities at the institute. We encourage you to set up collaborations and to actively shape your stay according to your research interests. We offer a number of opportunities to get involved, such as:
- Writing a paper related to your research project and publishing it for instance in our SSRN Internet & Society Series
- Holding a presentation about a topic of your choice in one of our Brown Bag Lunches
- Organising a workshop related to your research topic
- Engage in joint activities and projects with other fellows
- And more – according to your interest
Costs & Allowances
For accepted Fellows the HIIG offers a waiver for all mandatory visitor fees. Fellows may use HIIG facilities free of charge during their stay. They are expected to bring their own funding from their home institution or outside grants. Fellows must take care of their accommodation, insurance, childcare, and transportation arrangements. However, in specific cases we can provide a travel allowance of up to € 700,- and a visa subsidy of up to € 200,- on request (separate application needed).
We offer fellowships ranging from 3 to 12 months, in any period within a 2017.
- Master’s degree, PhD in process/planned (Junior Fellow) OR
- PhD in final stage / PostDoc (Senior Fellow)
- Fluency in English; command of German is appreciated
- Research experience and an Internet research project of your own
Required application documents
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation explaining your interest in the fellowship, your expectations and your research background (1 page)
- Outline of a) your research project, b) the work you propose to conduct during the fellowship, c) contributions you plan to realise during your stay, d) projects on our research agenda that are of interest to you, and e) if possible, preferred project partners at our institute (maximum 3 pages total)
- Optional: your latest publication or work sample covering Internet research (maximum of 1 paper / chapter / presentation in English or German)
Application for the 2017’s programme is closed.