As a fellow at HIIG, you have the opportunity to enrich your doctoral degree with a research stay as part of a young and interdisciplinary team. In our fellowship programme, we invite you to our institute in Berlin to engage in specialist exchange for a period of 3 to 12 months . We welcome applications from candidates from all areas of internet research whose transdisciplinary projects show promising points of contact with HIIG’s research agenda.
Our fellowship provides innovative thinkers a unique opportunity to share experiences and launch new initiatives in an inviting intellectual environment. The selected fellows are very welcome to collaborate within a growing international team and to participate in the activities at our institute. We encourage you to actively shape your stay according to your research interests and offer a number of opportunities to get involved with our research programme and discuss your project with the HIIG research community, including:
- Writing a paper related to your research project, e.g. publishing a journal paper in our SSRN Internet & Society Series
- Holding a presentation about a topic of your choice in our weekly HIIG Club
- Organising a workshop related to your research topic
- Engage in joint activities and projects with other fellows
- And more – according to your interest
We invite applications from early stage researchers pursuing transdisciplinary internet research. If you are seeking exchange regarding your research aspirations and think your objectives match or complement ours, we look forward to hearing from you! Applications for a research stay starting on January 1st, 2016 at the earliest are requested from April 1st till June 30th 2015 via the application from below .
Based in the heart of Berlin, we will provide you with modern office space that you will share with our researchers. Fellows are expected to secure their own funding through their home institution or external grants. Fellows also need to make their own accommodation, insurance, childcare, and transportation arrangements. However, in specific cases we can provide fellows on request with a travel allowance of up to €700 and a visa subsidy of up to €200.
We offer fellowships ranging from 3 to 12 months.
- Master’s degree / PhD in process/planned (Junior Fellow)
- PhD in final stage / PostDoc (Senior Fellow)
- Fluency in English; command of German is appreciated
- Research experience and an internet research project of your own
Required application documents
- curriculum vitae
- letter of motivation explaining your interest in the fellowship, your expectations and your research background (1 page)
- outline of a) your research project, b) the work you propose to conduct during the fellowship, c) contributions you plan to realise during your stay, d) projects on our research agenda that are of interest to you, and e) if possible, preferred project partners at our institute (maximum 3 pages total)
- optional: your latest publication or work sample covering internet research (maximum of 1 paper / chapter / presentation in English or German)
Applications for 2016 are welcomed as from 1 April. Please feel free to contact us with any questions regarding the application process or the programme in general via