1st Pop-Up Lab: Inclusive AI? The challenges of automated tools in HR
The next time you apply for a position, an algorithm may decide the fate of your application, as employers are increasingly relying on AI-driven tools in human resource (HR) management. Automated decision-making (ADM) systems are used, inter alia, to shortlist promising candidates out of large applicant pools. Such specialized AI systems are promoted as being cost-effective and even key to ending discrimination in HR. Yet, there exists a substantial gap between the promise and the reality of AI in HR management. With critics warning that automated systems can be just as biased as the humans who develop and train them, there is concern that these tools may end up disadvantaging women and marginalized groups. The use of AI in HR thus raises urgent questions – a number of which we would like to tackle together with you in our next Pop-Up Lab!
Pop-Up Lab: Inclusive AI? Opportunities and challenges of automated decision-making systems in HR management
24 – 26 August 2020
Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society
Französische Straße 9, 10117 Berlin
The goal of this interdisciplinary workshop format is for researchers to generate insights directly in exchange with leading NGOs dealing with AI-related topics in the context of HR – a unique opportunity to make an impact at the intersection of AI and inclusion and to collaborate with aspiring researchers in an inter- and transdisciplinary setting.
Preliminary agenda of the Pop-Up Lab
Day 1 – 24 August 9.00 – 18.00
- Welcome remarks – Prof. Wolfgang Schulz (Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society / Hans Bredow Institute)
- Input and discussion: Automated decision-making in HR management – Matthias Spielkamp (AlgorithmWatch)
- Input and discussion: Feminist perspectives on AI and inclusion – Deniz Erden (Information and Technology Law Institute of Istanbul Bilgi University)
- Workshop: Bias in Machine Learning – Shlomi Hod (Boston University)
- Artist contribution: “We need to talk, AI!” – Lena Ziyal
Day 2 – 25 August 9.00 – 18.00
- Mini Hackathon: Practical approaches to AI in HR (Part I) – Shlomi Hod (Boston University)
Day 3 – 26 August 9.00 – 20.00
- Mini Hackathon: Practical approaches to AI in HR (Part II) – Shlomi Hod (Boston University)
- Impact School – Marcel Hebing (Impact Distillery)
- Distill & Digest and Poster exhibition
- Digitaler Salon @HIIG
The Pop-Up Lab is a project of the AI & Society Lab, an inter- and transdisciplinary research laboratory that explores how AI can serve the public interest. With the Pop-Up Labs, it aims at putting its applied research focus into action. Over a defined period of time, interdisciplinary teams of researchers work on site with partners from industry and/or civil society in order to jointly tackle practical research questions by using a variety of methods tailored to each Pop-Up Lab.
For further details, please contact Daniela Dicks.
Stay tuned for more events
Sign up for our newsletters and be the first to learn about new events and exciting research results.