encore is the annual research magazine of the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG). The magazine is published annually and summarises the research topics and events of the past year. The heart of the magazine is a number of selected articles written by HIIG researchers about subjects that have been relevant throughout the year. Furthermore, representatives working in science, business and politics share their perspectives on questions around internet and society. Encore as well contains the annual official research report.
Published so far
– Articles about scientific topics: memes and copyright, Big Data and journalism, Twitter and Brexit, Europe’s digital sovereignty
– Abstracts of doctoral dissertations by Julian Staben, Martin Wrobel and Christian Katzenbach
– Interviews: Scientist Jose van Dijck, entrepreneur Maximilian Viessmann, politician Jan-Philipp Albrecht, re:publica founder Andreas Gebhardt and HIIG-research director Jeanette Hofmann
– Events: Long night of the sciences, Lecture series on Big Data, Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)
– Articles about scientific topics: digital civil disobedience, internet censorship in Africa, the right to be forgotten, user innovation in the energy market
– Interviews: politician Thomas Gambke and lobbyist Andreas Rade; politician Julia Reda; journalist Matthias Spielkamp
– Events: Gikii conference in Berlin, travel report from the digital eco system in Chile, Lunch Talk with Peter Thiel
– Articles about scientific topics: hacktivism, imitation und innovation in the games sector, path dependency in scientific publishing, financing hardware startups
– Interviews: former HIIG fellow Florian Süssenguth, scientist Dame Wendy Hall
– Events: workshops on privacy and mass surveillance, symposium Internet Governance
– Articles about scientific topics: knowledge society, open hardware, the internet’s infrastructure, open government und open science
– Interview: blogger and activist Cory Doctorow
– Events: Startup Clinics, Burgerbeteiligung, workshop on the future of audio-visual formats, talk about risks and opportunities of social participation, interdisciplinary seminar Everything is a remix
Flip through our recent edition of encore.